What is an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) (AKA Work Permit)?

work permit

The employment authorization document (also known as a work permit) is a document that is issued by USCIS. It authorizes an individual to work in the United States for a specified period of time. It takes the form of an identification card, which displays the individuals name, photo, and expiration date.

Who Can Apply for an EAD (“Work Permit”)

The instructions on Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization provide a list of which individuals may be eligible to receive a work permit.

How Can I Apply for an EAD?

Form I-765 should be completed and sent to the appropriate USCIS processing center, along with any applicable filing fees and supporting documentation. It may be wise to consult with an immigration attorney before you plan on sending your application to make sure that it is in good order.

What Happens After the Application for the Work Permit is Sent?

Once checked for completeness and processed, USCIS may request that the applicant appear for an interview at their local USCIS field office. At the interview, the applicant will provide their biometrics in order to verify their identity and they may be subject to background/security checks.

Some time after the interview, a decision will be made and USCIS will send the applicant their EAD or they may pick it up from their local USCIS field office. If the applicant is denied, they will receive a written notice which explains the basis of the denial of the work permit.

When Should an EAD be Renewed?

USCIS advises that renewals for an EAD should not be filed more than 180 days before the original EAD is set to expire.

Consider setting up a consult with an immigration attorney at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We are here to assist with your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.