supporting documentation

Supporting documentation for a Family-Based Petition – In our earlier entries, we have discussed the family-based petition process, adjustment of status, consular processing, and the medical examination requirement for beneficiaries of family-based petitions. In this entry, we will discuss what kind of supporting documentation should be provided with the application itself.

What Kind of Supporting Documentation Should be Provided?

The answer to this question is almost always different for every applicant, but there are certain documents which are common for every applicant to provide in their paperwork:

  • Copies of Passport and Visa Pages
  • Copies of any government-issued identification
  • Documentation which evidences the relationship between the beneficiary and the petitioner:
    • Birth certificates
    • Marriage certificates
  • Documentation which proves that any previous relationship has ended:
    • Death certificate(s)
  • Copies of the petitioner’s tax returns
  • Passport photos taken within 30 days of submitting the application

Your Case May be Different Than the Typical Case

Keep in mind that the list provided above is standard for every case. As mentioned above, your case may present unique challenges and different supporting documentation may be required from you in order to provide a complete application.

Consider setting up a consultation with an attorney at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We are here to assist with your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.