social media and visas

Providing your social media information for a visa – In March of 2018, President Donald Trump proposed a series of immigration reform policies, including what he called an “extreme vetting” procedure, which should be in place for all individuals who seek to visit or immigrate to the United States. This entry will discuss one of those policies, which is being implemented in June of 2019.

New Information Will Be Requested from Visa Applicants

The U.S. Department of State will now require that applicants for a visa provide their social media usernames, previously used email addresses, and phone number history. These changes have already been implemented in the Department of State’s visa applications and almost all applicants will be required to provide this type of information.

Concerns Surrounding the New Policy

Social media provides people with an outlet to share ideas, exchange opinions, and provide personal insight into their lives. By providing the government with access to these details, many are concerned that their applications could be unfairly adjudicated. Another concern is that this new policy may have a chilling effect on a potential applicant’s abilities to freely connect and communicate with others via social media.

What Can You Do?

If you are an individual who is seeking to visit or immigrate to the United States, it is important to speak with an immigration attorney before you begin the process. Consider setting up a consultation with an immigration lawyer at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We are here to assist with your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.