Renewing US Passport

So, you are planning a trip overseas and are in the process of organizing your documents when you realize that your passport has been expired for quite some time. How do you renew your expired passport? This entry will discuss what you will need in order to renew your United States passport.

When You Cannot Renew Your Passport

In order to have a U.S. passport, a person must first either be a U.S. citizen by birth or by becoming a naturalized citizen. A person will be unable to renew their passport if their passport was:

  • Issued before their sixteenth birthday;
  • Issued under a previously used name and the person does not have documentation to prove that their name has since been changed;
  • Lost, damaged, or stolen;
  • Issued to them more than fifteen years ago.

If a person’s passport was issued under any of the above circumstances, they will not be eligible to renew their passport. Instead, they must fileForm DS-11 in order to apply for a new passport.

How Can I Renew My Passport?

Form DS-82must be filled out and sent to the National Passport Processing Center, along with the following documents:

If you need your passport renewal expedited, the National Passport Processing Center does offer an expedited service at a premium. For these requests, the applicant will have to make an appointment via the National Passport Processing Center’s appointment system.

Consider setting up a consultation with an attorney at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We are here to assist with your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.