Renewing an Employment Authorization Card

The employment authorization document (also known as a work permit or EAD) is a document that is issued by USCIS. It authorizes an individual to work in the United States for a specified period of time. It takes the form of an identification card, which displays the individual’s name, photo, and expiration date. This entry will discuss how someone can request to renew their EAD.

How to Renew Your Employment Authorization Document

An employment authorization document which is expired or expiring soon can be renewed if the applicant is still eligible for work authorization. USCIS recommends that an EAD renewal request should be submitted within 180 days of the expiration date on the EAD card. If your EAD is approaching expiration, you should consider speaking to an immigration attorney to assist you with your renewal.

Who Can Apply for an EAD (“Work Permit”)

The instructions on Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization provide a list of which individuals may be eligible to receive a work permit.

How Can I Apply for an EAD?

Form I-765 should be completed and sent to the appropriate USCIS processing center, along with any applicable filing fees and supporting documentation. It may be wise to consult with an immigration attorneybefore you plan on sending your application to make sure that it is in good order.

Consider setting up a consult with an immigration attorney at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We are here to assist with your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.