If you were admitted into the United States under a protected refugee status and have been physically present in the United States for greater than a year, you may be eligible to apply for your green card. The purpose of this entry is to discuss the process involved and what must be considered before applying for your green card as a refugee.

Eligibility Criteria for Applying for Green Card as a Refugee

In order for an individual with refugee status to apply for their green card, they must meet the following requirements:

  1. Physical presence in the United States for a year or longer;
  2. They were admitted under § 207 of the Immigration and Nationality Act as a refugee;
  3. Their status has not been terminated at any point since their arrival into the U.S.;
  4. They are admissible to the United States and do not have any activity which prevents them from being admissible; and
  5. They properly complete and submit Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status with the USCIS.

Things to Consider Before Applying

It is important to consult with an immigration attorney before applying for permanent residence because an immigration lawyer would be able to determine your eligibility. An immigration attorney can determine your eligibility based on how you originally entered the U.S. and based on any criminal acts or violations or immigration law you may have committed. These factors play into whether or not an applicant for a green card is considered admissible to the United States.

Consider setting up a consultation with an attorney at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We are here to assist with your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.