receiving updates

Receiving updates on your family-based petition – In years prior, a sponsoring family member in the United States would send a petition to the USCIS and wait for a hard copy of Form I-797, Notice of Receipt in the mail. That process has become more streamlined in recent years so that the petitioner can now receive electronic status updates from USCIS. This blog explores the topic of receiving updates on your family-based petition.

How to Request Electronic Notifications from USCIS

When an application for a family-based petition is submitted, the petitioner should consider submitting Form G-1145, E-Notification of Petition Acceptance along with the other forms in their application packet. The form is very simple and straightforward in nature, requiring the applicant/petitioner to provide their full name, email address, and best telephone number.

How Does it Work?

USCIS will send an email and text message to the applicant/petitioner within 24 hours of accepting their application. The email or text message will display the petitioner’s receipt number and will provide information on how the petitioner can check the status of their case. The email or text will not include any personal information related to the case and it does not grant any type of status of benefit.

Will I Still Receive Paper Notifications in the Mail?

Yes. USCIS will also mail Form I-797, Notice of Receipt to the petitioner within 10 days of their application being accepted. It is important to store the hard copy in safekeeping to serve as proof of a pending application or petition.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.