P Visa

What is the P Visa?

A P Visa is a temporary employment-based visa that certain athletes, entertainers, and artists may be eligible for. There are different classifications of P Visas:

  • P-1A applies to internationally recognized athletes;
  • P-1B applies to members of an internationally recognized entertainment group;
  • P-2 applies to individual performers or part of a group entering to perform under a reciprocal exchange program;
  • P-3 applies to artists or entertainers coming to be part of a culturally unique program; and
  • P-4 applies to spouses, or children under the age of 21 of a P-1, P-2, or P-3 foreign national who is accompanying them to the United States.

Who is Eligible for an P Visa?

Each type of P Visa has different eligibility criteria. The USCIS website provides a general list of eligibility criteria for P-1, P-2, and P-3 visas.

What is the Process of Applying for a P Visa?

The first step in the P Visa process is generally taken by a petitioning employer or agent, who will file Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, with the USCIS. The petition must be completed and filed with all supporting documentation and any applicable filing fees. If the petition is accepted, the sponsored foreign national may apply for their P Visa at their local U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

How Long Does an P Visa Last?

A P Visa holder’s length of stay in the U.S. is determined by the duration of their event, performance, or competition. This is why it is very important for the P Visa applicant to provide a very detailed schedule of their planned events in the United States when they are applying. Individual P-1 Visa holders may request extensions of their stay for up to five years at a time for a period not to exceed ten years. Other P Visa holders may request one-year extensions.

There is a substantial amount of documentation that must accompany the applicant’s paperwork. For this reason, it may be wise to consult with an immigration lawyer to ensure that the application is in good order before it is sent. Consider setting up a consultation with an immigration attorney at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We are here to assist with your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.