New Green Card

Requesting a new Green Card may become necessary in certain situations. A permanent resident is required to carry their green card with them at all times to serve as proof that they are authorized to live and work in the United States. Having a green card stolen, lost, or misplaced can cause a lot of panic and even worse, may create problems for a permanent resident if they are trying to travel or apply for a job.

Before You Consider Requesting a New Green Card

Consider your eligibility for the naturalization process. If you are eligible to naturalize, there would be no need to have your green card. Consider consulting with an immigration attorney to determine your eligibility for naturalization before you request a replacement green card.

What Reasons Warrant the Issuance of a New Green Card?

You must replace your green card if:

  • You were issued a card valid for 10 years that has either expired or will expire within 6 months.
  • Your card has been lost, stolen, or damaged. 
  • You were issued a card valid for 10 years before you turned 14 years old, and it will not expire before your 16th birthday.
  • Your card was issued with incorrect data (name, DOB, issued date) due to USCIS administrative error.

You may replace your green card if:

  • Your name or other biographic information has been legally changed.
  • Your card does not have an expiration date on it.
  • You have taken up commuter status. This means you commute regularly to work in the United States but reside in Canada or Mexico.

How Do You Apply for a New Green Card?

Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card must be completed and submitted to the USCIS, along with filing fees and supporting documentation. Once received by USCIS, the applicant should receive a receipt notice by mail and will later be notified of a date, time, and location for their biometrics appointment.

Consider setting up a consultation with an attorney at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We are here to assist with your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.