What is Form I-94?

Form I-94, Arrival and Departure Record, takes the form of an electronic form or a hard copy. It is a document which is issued by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). This form is generally attached to a visitor’s passport and it provides key information on an individual’s entry and departure from the United States. This information is usually stamped on Form I-94 by a CBP officer.

How Does CBP Use Form I-94?

Upon an individual’s arrival into the United States, a CBP officer will stamp the I-94 with their date of admission into the U.S., their class of admission, and the date which the individual must depart the United States. Since April of 2013, most Form I-94’s are created electronically and instead of CBP stamping a hard copy of the I-94, they will stamp the individual’s foreign passport. Form I-94 may be accessed online. If a person wants a hard copy of their Form I-94, they may request one from CBP during the inspection process.

When leaving the U.S., the hard copy of Form I-94 must be surrendered to the commercial airline carrier or to CBP before departing. Otherwise, CBP will record the departure electronically with the flight manifest information provided by the airline carrier or CBP will enter it themselves during inspection.

Why is Form I-94 Electronic?

Beyond the benefit of cost efficiency, making Form I-94 electronically available streamlines the entry process for travelers. Individuals seeking to find their most recent I-94 may access it on the CBP website here.

To learn about Visitor and Tourist Visas, click here.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.