E3 Visa

This blog explores the E3 visa. There are five preference categories for employment-based visas and every fiscal year, around 140,000 of these visas are issued to individuals seeking to enter the U.S.  on an employment-based immigrant visa. Of the 140,000 employment-based immigrant visas issued per year, about 40,000 of these visas are reserved for the E3 visa preference category. The E3 visa is comprised of three categories – skilled workers, professionals, and unskilled workers. Of the 40,000 E3 visas issued among these three categories, unskilled workers only receive about 10,000 of them.

How Are the Categories Classified?

According to the Department of State’s website, these three categories are broken down as follows:

  1. Skilled workers are persons whose jobs require a minimum of 2 years training or work experience that are not temporary or seasonal.
  2. Professionals are members of the professions whose jobs require at least a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. university or college or its foreign equivalent degree.
  3. Unskilled workers (Other workers) are persons capable of filling positions that require less than two years training or experience that are not temporary or seasonal.

How Does Someone Apply for an E3 Visa?

The applicant must have a valid job offer from a qualifying employer in the U.S. Additionally, the applicant must have an approved labor certification from the Department of Labor, and a petition must be filed on their behalf by their U.S.-based employer.

Family of E3 Visa Holders

Family of E3 visa holders are eligible to come to the U.S. as a derivative beneficiary, and they are able to work unrestricted in the U.S. during their stay.

Consider setting up a consult with an immigration lawyer at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We are here to assist with your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.