What is a Crewmember Visa?

crewmember visa

The crewmember visa, formally known as a D visa, is available to individuals who work on commercial sea vessels or on international airlines that travel through the United States. This visa is temporary in its nature and only permits an individual to be on a vessel or aircraft in the U.S. for a period of 29 days.

Who is Eligible to Apply?

Any foreign crew member is eligible to apply for a D visa (crewmember visa). This includes any crewmember whose labor is necessary for the normal operation of an aircraft or sea vessel. This includes pilots, flight attendants, captains, engineers, deckhands, lifeguards, cooks, waiters, trainees, and other service staff on a cruise ship.

How to Apply for a Crewmember Visa?

As with most nonimmigrant visas, the first step in the application process is to fill out and submit Form DS-160, Nonimmigrant Visa Application. Next, the applicant will have to schedule an interview with their local U.S. Embassy or Consulate and wait for their interview date.

What Kind of Documentation Should be Provided?

A consular officer would be most interested in the purposes of your trip, your intent to depart the U.S. after your work is completed, and your ability to finance your trip to the United States. Additionally, as with most nonimmigrant visas, the applicant would have to show some evidence of having ties to their home country. This can include evidence of maintaining a physical address, bank accounts, and employment.

Depending on the circumstances of the individual’s employment, additional visas may be required. Consider setting up a consultation with an attorney at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We are here to assist with your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.