consular report of birth abroad

What is a Consular Report of Birth Abroad?

Consular Report of Birth Aboard – When a child is born overseas to a U.S. citizen parent, they may be eligible to acquire U.S. citizenship through their parent(s) as long as certain requirements are met. A consular report of birth abroad allows the local U.S. embassy or consulate in the foreign country to make a determination about the child’s citizenship at birth. If approved, the child will acquire U.S. citizenship.

How Do You File for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad?

Form FS-240, Consular Report of Birth Abroad must be filed as soon as possible from the time of the child’s birth. The child should be under the age of eighteen at the time the application is filed in order to be eligible for this process; otherwise, the child may have to go through a separate process in order to acquire the certificate of citizenship.

What Kind of Documentation Will be Required?

It is important to gather evidence prior to submitting Form FS-240. The following types of information should be gathered prior to applying:

  • Proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s citizenship;
  • The child’s birth certificate;
  • If the parents are unmarried and the child was born out of wedlock, an affidavit which states that the U.S. citizen is the parent of the child and that they will support the child is usually required;
  • Additional documentation, such as divorce decrees from any prior marriages may be required.

What Happens if the Consular Report of Birth Abroad is Accepted?

The U.S. embassy or consulate will provide a copy of the child’s consular report of birth abroad. The parents of the child should consider applying for the child’s passport as soon as possible and in most cases, it is advised that the parents submit the application for the child’s passport along with Form FS-240.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.