Conrad Waiver

The Conrad Waiver is a special permission which is granted to J-1 visa holders who are medical doctors. The waiver allows J-1 medical doctors to waive the two-year residence requirement of their visa upon their completion of the exchange program. The Conrad Waiver differs from a normal J-1 visa waiver in that the applicant does not need to make a showing of exceptional hardship, persecution, or that their sponsoring agency requested a waiver.

Who is Eligible for a Conrad Waiver?

As mentioned above, the Conrad Waiveris only available to medical doctors. The following requirements, as taken from the USCIS website, must be met by a J-1 medical doctor in order to qualify for a waiver:

  • Agree to be employed full-time in H-1B nonimmigrant status at a health care facility located in an area designated by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA), Medically Underserved Area (MUA), or Medically Underserved Population (MUP).  
  • Obtain a contract from the health care facility located in an area designated by HHS as a HPSA, MUA, or MUP
  • Obtain a “no objection” letter from his or her home country if the home government funded his or her exchange program
  • Agree to begin employment at the health care facility within 90 days of receipt of the waiver, not the date his or her J-1 visa expires.

How to Apply?

The J-1 visa holder’s state health department must sponsor them in order to apply for the waiver. After obtaining sponsorship, the J-1 holder should complete and submit Form DS-3035, J-1 Visa Waiver Renew Application to the U.S. Department of State. If the application is approved by the USCIS, the sponsor may petition the J-1 medical doctor via Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker, along with other supporting documentation.

Consider setting up a consultation with an immigration lawyer at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We are here to assist with your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.