Replacing or Changing a Certificate of Citizenship/NaturalizationCertificate of Citizenship

The Certificate of Citizenship is a very important document to many foreign nationals. So, what happens if a person loses or damages his or her Certificate of Citizenship? What happens if they need to make a change to the Certificate of Citizenship? The following blog entry explores this topic.

A U.S. Citizen whose certificate of citizenship or naturalization has been lost, mutilated, or otherwise incorrect may request a replacement certificate from the USCIS. USCIS Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document is used to request a replacement.

How Do I Replace My Certificate?

Form N-565 must be submitted, along with a filing fee and supporting documentation to the correct USCIS processing center.

What Information Am I Required to Provide with the Application?

Aside from the individual’s general information, they should be able to provide the date when they were naturalized, along with the address of the USCIS facility where their original certificate was issued. The individual must also state why they are requesting a replacement certificate and what happened to the old one.

If a person wants a new certificate because they have changed their name or gender, supporting documentation must be provided along with the application. The same requirement of providing additional documentation applies to individuals who want to change the date of birth on their certificate.

How Long Does It Take to Process This Type of Request?

USCIS can take up to six months to process this type of request. In situations where the individual needs to have their request expedited, a special request can made to USCIS so long as the individual’s request fits a certain type of criteria. An individual may expedite a request to USCIS if they meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • Severe financial loss to company or person;
  • Emergency situation;
  • Humanitarian reasons;
  • ​Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States;
  • ​Department of Defense or national interest situation;
    ​USCIS error; or
  • ​Compelling interest of USCIS.

While the process of requesting a new certificate is pretty straightforward, sometimes, a person may want the assistance of an immigration attorney in handling the paperwork. To ensure that a timely request is made, it might be helpful to consult with an immigration lawyer for assistance in completing Form N-565. The attorneys at Gilles Law, PLLC are here to assist you.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.