Certificate of Citizenship

How to Apply for a Certificate of Citizenship – If you were born outside of the United States to a U.S. citizen parent, or you automatically became a U.S. citizen after birth but before you turned the age eighteen, this entry would be or particular interest to you. This entry will discuss how someone can request proof of their U.S. citizenship if the situation outlined above applies to them.

Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship

This form is not to be used if you are a U.S. citizenwho has had their Certificate of Citizenship lost, stolen, or misplaced. If you had your certificate lost, stolen, or misplaced, you would need to file Form N-565. Form N-600 is specifically for individuals who need to prove their U.S. citizenship because they were either born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or managed to acquire U.S. citizenship after birth but before reaching the age of eighteen.

What Kind of Documentation Should be Provided in the Application for a Certificate of Citizenship?

It is best to seek the advice of an immigration attorney before sending any applications to the USCIS so that you have a thorough understanding of the paperwork, required evidence, processing times, and filing fees. Among the evidence which must be provided in the N-600, the applicant should provide:

  • Birth certificates;
  • Evidence of parent’s U.S. citizenship;
  • Proof of parent’s physical presence in the U.S. (if applicable);
  • Marriage certificates;
  • Proof of legitimation for children who were born out of wedlock;
  • Proof of prior marriages being dissolved;
  • Other proof your attorney may require.

Consider setting up a consultation with an attorney at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We are here to assist with your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.