Canadian workers

There are some advantages for U.S employers to consider Canadian workers. Canada is in very close proximity to the U.S. and English is a shared language. Canada also shares the same time zones as some parts of the U.S. and produces plenty of highly skilled workers.

Remote Work vs. Work in the United States for Canadian Workers

Sometimes, an employer is simply looking to branch their business into Canada, itself. For this type of an arrangement, getting a visa for the potential Canadian employee is not required. The Canadian workers can simply be brought on as independent contractors of the U.S. company and can continue to represent the company’s interests remotely in Canada.

In situations where U.S. employer wants to have their Canadian employee in the U.S., a visa will be required. The type of visa which will be required depends on the amount of time they plan to spend in the U.S. and the types of activities that they will be participating in.

The Type of Visa Required

If the U.S. company wants to have their Canadian employee work in the U.S. from time to time, the employee may only need a business visa. The business visa allows temporary visits to the U.S. for business reasons and provides the employee with the ability to come into the U.S. for ninety days at a time in order to conduct business.

If the U.S. employer wants to have their Canadian employee in the U.S. for a prolonged period of time, they would have to consider a special work visa. Work visas allow employees to work in the U.S. for a period of up the three years. It is important to consider speaking with an immigration attorney if you are considering applying for either visa.

If you are a U.S. employer or a Canadian citizen looking to travel to the U.S. for business, consider calling an immigration attorney at Gilles Law, PLLC to discuss your options.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.