US Citizen Child Petition for Parent

The question “how soon can a U.S. Citizen child petition for a parent?” is a question that is asked a lot – “If my child is a U.S. citizen, can they petition for me to get a green card?”. Well, the answer to this question is that “it depends.” The purpose of this entry is to discuss the age requirements for a petitioner and to provide some information for a potential green card applicant in who is in the scenario outlined above.

Can My Child Petition for Me?

A U.S. citizenwho is at least 21 years or older is allowed to file a petition for their immediate family members. This means that they can petition for their children, parents, siblings, and spouses.

What if My Child Isn’t Old Enough Yet?

If your child is nowhere near the age requirement to file a family-based petition, you will need to find another pathway to stay in the United States legally. If you do not have another pathway to legally stay in the U.S., you would need to be mindful of things like being caught by immigration officials, being placed in removal proceedings in immigration court, or even being deported.

If you are living in the United States illegally and accrue a period of more than 180 days of unlawful presence in the United States, you risk being barred from reentering the United States for a certain amount of time if you are ordered removed or are deported.

Consider setting up a consult with an immigration lawyer at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We are here to assist with your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.