Advance Parole

What is Advance Parole?

Advance Parole refers to a special type of travel permission which is granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to non-U.S. nationals who are not permanent residents yet. It takes form as a document, known as Form I-512 and it enables a person to re-enter the United States after travelling abroad.

Who Would Need Advance Parole?

Individuals who are currently in the United States and are not a green card holder yet should apply for advance parole if they have:

  • A pending application for adjustment of status filed with USCIS;
  • Been granted Temporary Protected Status (TPS), or T or U nonimmigrant status;
  • A pending asylum application;
  • Been granted benefits under the Family Unity Program;
  • Been granted V nonimmigrant status;
  • Benefits provided under DACA; or
  • If they seek to travel abroad temporarily for urgent humanitarian reasons or in furtherance of a significant public benefit, which may include a personal or family emergency, or bona fide business reasons.

What Happens if I Don’t Apply for Advance Parole?

If you are required to apply for advance parole before departing the United States and you fail to do so, your adjustment of status application will automatically be considered abandoned. In such an instance, you would not be able to return to the U.S. and may have to undergo consular processing in order to finish the green card process.

How Do I Apply for Advance Parole?

Form I-131, Application for Travel Document is used to apply for advance parole. This application should be submitted to USCIS far in advance of the proposed trip in order to allow time for processing and approval.

Minor mistakes on Form I-131 can cause costly delays and potential denials. Consider setting up a consult with an attorney at Gilles Law, PLLC. You can reach us at 980-272-8438 at our office in Uptown Charlotte. We are here to assist with your inquiries.

This Blog/Web Site is made available by Gilles Law, PLLC , a Charlotte-based law firm, for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.